Strands Inn part 2

This is the second part of an article on the Strands Inn at Netherwasdale.

You can find part 1 here;

First, a reminder: in 1842, the Strands Inn was taken over by the Gunson family, who stayed there till 1849.


1851 May 16

At the house of her brother, at Stephney, near Calderbridge, on Monday week, Mrs Mary Jopson, 73. The deceased was for many years housekeeper at the Strands Inn.

1852. July 22

On Saturday , at the house of his brother Isaac Gunson, of Calder Hall, Ponsonby, Mr John Gunson, formerly of the Strands Inn and late of the Scawfell Hotel, Seascale, Gosforth, aged 50.

Joseph Wilson

Name-checked in 1850, the next person to run the inn was Joseph Wilson. The 1851 census shows he was then 37. With him are wife Jane, also 37, and two unmarried ‘house servants’: Daniel Tyson and Ann Tyson. He was born at Ulpha and she at Gosforth, so not siblings.

But Joseph Wilson didn’t last long. For in autumn 1854, Jonathan Simpson (the owner) was again advertising the Strands Inn to let. The new tenant would move in ‘in March next’.

1855 MarchWhen Joseph Wilson left, to farm at Gosforth, the ‘whole of his farming stock’ was (curiously) sold by auction. As was:

 The Furniture consists of Mahogany Four-post and Camp Bedsteads, with Hangings, complete; Mahogany chairs… Eight Days’ Clock, Chests of Drawers, Mahogany Sofa, Mahogany Alcove, Oak Desk, Dining, Card, Stand, and other Tables; Wash Stands, Toilet Tables, Looking Glasses. Feather Beds, Bolsters, and Pillows; large Quantity of Bedding and Linen, Carpets and Hearth Rugs, Oil Paintings, Engravings, Bar Utensils, China, Glass, and Earthenware, with a Variety of Kitchen Utensils.

Hello, goodbye

An auction notice in 1855 tells us the landlord of the Strands Inn is now Mr. Isaac Satterthwaite. But:

1860. To let, entry March 1861, the Strands Inn… apply Jonathan Simpson, the owner, of Lane Side, Gosforth

Enter the Smiths

In May 1861, Mr. Thomas Smith, ‘the worthy landlord,’ followed the tradition when he held his cellar and sports, the former being for married and the latter for young people. ..

After events including fell running and wrestling, and ‘tea &c’ for 160, it was all into the ballroom. The occasion ending only when:

‘the farm-yard bird gave notice of the approach of day’.

In 1861, Thomas Smith, a native of  Kirby Ireleth, was 31. His wife Hannah, was a ‘local girl’.

An old name – or two

1862. May 1.

To be sold by public auction, the Fox and Hounds, better known as the Strands Inn. The premises are in the occupation of Thomas Smith, as tenant from year to year.

1865 Feb 25

 On the 13th inst., at Mill-place, Netherwasdale Mrs Hannah Simpson, wife of Mr. Jonathan Simpson of that place, aged 67 years. For many years deceased was the respected landlady of the Strands Inn 

Time passes

Thomas and Hannah Smith remained at the Strands Inn, and their son John (born about 1862) grew up there, and married another Hannah.

A male guest in 1881, by the way, looks to have the name Kitchen Holmes.

In September 1896, John Smith applied for a licence extension for a sports day on the 7th. The report mentioned that ‘his father kept the other licensed house’ (in Netherwasdale).

Thomas Smith died on May 11, 1900.

The following summer, John Smith applied for the licence of the Strands Inn: it had been held by his mother,  ‘who died recently’. 

Mr Smith was at this time landlord of ‘the hotel opposite’. He thought he and his wife could manage the two premises. the inn ‘belonged to his father’, while the hotel was the property of John Musgrave. Application granted. 

A sanitary upgrade

Proposed alterations to the Strands Inn in 1903 would add a kitchen and scullery on the ground floor, in place of the current kitchen and pantry. And above these, would make two bedrooms, a bathroom and a wc. The object was ‘to improve the sanitary arrangements’.

Women in their nightwear

By 1905, the Strands Hotel had been taken on by Robert Dixon, of Fern Bank, Netherwasdale. He applied for a licence, sayingthe village had only had one true public house for the past year. 

Owner John Musgrave told the hearing he had ‘had too much trouble’ with the last tenant*. And that he’d advertised it to let as a temperance hotel – with no takers. 

The vicar, the Rev John Hodgson said that when it had a licence, the Strands Hotel was ‘a public nuisance, and worse’. 

Many a time, the place was pandemonium… There was fighting and disorder.. It was a gathering place for idle and dissipated persons..

There was many a time when women were found on the village green at midnight in their nightdresses

The Rev Hodgson refused to name names!

The licence application was refused.

And the Strands Hotel duly became… the Strands Temperance Hotel.

*not named, but Mr Hodgson said he’d only it a year and had lost money on it.

One thought on “Strands Inn part 2

Comments are closed.